Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 2

I woke up this morning at 5 AM and went down to the boat dock to see the sun rise. For those of you who do not know yes it is just starting to get a little light at 5AM. I sat at the boat dock and realized that the sun was going to be blocked by the mountains so I decided to move to another point on the peninsula and go for a hike. While moving away I turned around and noticed the full moon getting ready to set which was a very beautiful sight as it was over the water while day break broke. I hiked till 6:45 and then I went over to the Dining pavilion to get a cup of coffee. While hiking I heard many birds and saw a very interesting "biggish" bird that ran away when it saw me.

Next we had breakfast which was an egg, cheese and croissant. Afterwards we had a discussion about why we were all here taking the course and afterwards we went on a hike. The hike was productive as I took many pictures of symmetrical items in nature and found many patterns. I will upload these prints for my project on Symmetry and Patterns in Nature.

After we had lunch we had our book talk on Adirondack Green. During this book talk we discussed two open ended items that stick with me: 1 how do we get our students to care for something (anything)? and 2 how do we make our students aware about what is going on in the world and not make them cynical? These are things I will ponder over.

After the book talk we all went canoeing or kayaking. I chose to kayak and found it to be a very peaceful and easy experience. We went around the peninsula and I decided to float and relax for a period of time while the others went farther (this was the most relaxing being on the lake and just watching the wind blow through the leaves). When we returned to dock I decided to jump in the lake and take a nice refreshing swim.

That is all for now as it is almost diner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment